Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

My hearing has been muffled in my left ear so I've used ear

My hearing has been muffled in my left ear so I've used ear drops as my ear did seem waxy. From the second day of using them my hearing became much worse, I can now hardly hear anything out of that ear. I'm also getting some ringing. I've tried a home syringe kit, a very small amount of wax came out but my hearing is still awful. Does it sound like wax or could it be an inner ear problem? I'm not really getting any pain, it just feels full and uncomfortable
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Do you have stuffy nose,sore throat?

Dizziness?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sore throat. I'm stuffy and sneezy a lot which I think may be allergy to dust. Slight dizziness in the past few days which I think is due to feeling off balance (I can only hear about 20% out of my left ear now - feels pretty much like I'm deaf in that ear) . The muffled sensation has been there a coupl of months. This complete deafness has only happened since last week when I started using ear drops. No other medical history and I'm not taking any medication. Thank you

Thanks for all these additional information.
I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,possibly it's inner ear infection and eustachian tube dysfunction due to persistent sinus infection or allergy/Ear wax.

You need to be seen by ENT specialist for a clinical examination rather than consider wait and watch approach.
Your symptoms'll not improve without getting proper treatment.

You shouldn't ignore your symptoms.

You should try some self care measures like
Do steam inhalation.
Try OTC Otrivin nasal drops.
You should elevate head while sleeping.
Also take OTC Motrin and Claritin.
Start a multivitamin supplement.

Avoid ear irrigation yourself.

See an ENT specialist ASAP.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm due to have my ear syringed by the Dr next week, would that help at all?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Yes,your doctor'll do ear examination and if required he can do ear syringed as per underlying cause.

Try such self care measures in the meantime which provide you relief.

In case you develop severe pain,dizziness,complete hearing loss then visit ER or see your ENT specialist ASAP.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I see the Dr before next week as now I seem to be virtually deaf, can wax do that or do you think I need to see him sooner in case it's an infection?

Well I recommend to see your doctor sooner as you feel dizziness,ringing in ear with 80% hearing loss.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so you would think inner ear problem rather than wax in outer ear?

Eustachian tube dysfunction is most possible cause in your case and it can be caused due to either ear wax or infection.

As per your current symptoms,It's good to evaluate soon rather than wait.

Infection can cause permanent hearing loss if leave untreated.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you

Welcome.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil