Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Can exercise trigger heartburn?

Can exercise trigger heartburn?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer,

Everyone has a lower esophageal sphincter (a valve) and this is found between your stomach and esophagus. This normally prevents reflux of acid and prevents heartburn. If this valve is weak or not working properly then what is in the stomach can come back up (reflux) causing heartburn. Exercise done correctly is in fact beneficial in reducing heartburn. For this one must not eat food for two hours before exercising and avoid exercise with lots of jumping. Walking is beneficial in such individuals who experience heartburn when they do exercise such as running. Therefore though heavy exercise with a lot of movements can trigger heartburn and cause the the lower esophageal sphincter to not work properly and therefore the food or stomach acid can move back up from your stomach into your esophagus, moderate exercise done with precautions will not trigger heartburn.

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

May you be happy, successful, and healthy.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for the prompt reply.Since Lansoprazole does not suppress these symptoms, is there anything you can suggest that might be more effective?Reg

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

What is the dosage of lansoprazole that you have tried? What other medications have you tried?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Lansoprazole 30 mg. Occasionally if I can taste the acid I'll take gaviston. an important fact I failed tomention, I don't taste acid whilst I'm exercising and experiencing said burning sensation.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

Basically if you are not responding to lansaprazole then it is important that you have an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy done if you have not had one done till now. Also certain lifestyle modifications such as weight loss (if overweight) and elevation of head of the bed will be beneficial. Regarding medications you may consult your doctor about esomeprazole since this may be beneficial if you are not responding to lansaprazole.

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.