Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I had an needle injury from a rubbish bag in work. I went to

Customer Question

Hi I had an needle injury from a rubbish bag in work . I went to hospital and had blood taken. Thy said stay to chat to doctors. But I had to leave. Someone from hospital rang me to say thy needed me to see my own doctor. Went doctors today and he didn't have a clue y I was there as hospital didn't send info over I told him y. Should he of at least spoke to me or give me medication to stop any infection? Y would hospital rush appointment if I don't need any think .worried sick .If there is any bacteria from needle arnt I giving it time to breed without being given any think .Anita.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 9 months ago.

Dear customer,

What work do you do? What was in the rubbish bag?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm a bin women. I picked the bag of rubbish up to put in the bin wagon. But didn't see a used needle sticking out the bottom of the bag. An it stabed me in the leg it didn't go in deep but it draw blood. This was Tuesday. But my doctor didn't give me anything just wondering if he should of.had blood taken from me at hospital but that's it.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

Have you had tetanus vaccination series and hepatitis B vaccination in the past?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Over 12 yrs ago I did yes.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

Basically if it penetrated the skin, then tetanus booster dose may be required. If you have had a primary tetanus series (completing the childhood primary vaccine series with tetanus toxoid, a booster dose during adolescence, and at 10-year intervals thereafter during adulthood), you would need a booster dose at present since you last had one 12 years ago. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Also please ask your doctor and Occupational Health Department to inform you the results of the investigation.

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

May you be happy, successful, and healthy.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank u.

Dear customer,

You are welcome.

Please don't forget to rate the answer with a 5 star rating by clicking the stars above.