Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My wife has severe Cold Urticaria. There are some

My wife has severe Cold Urticaria. There are some indications that it was brought on by a flu shot seven or eight years ago.She is naturally nervous about a further shot. Is there any evidence that a further shot will worsen or reinforce her condition? (She has had every known treatment with zero success).
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 7 months ago.

Dear customer,

There is no evidence at present to say that this will worsen or reinforce her condition. However the vaccine itself may rarely cause acute urticaria as an adverse effect. But this is unrelated to the cold urticaria and occurs rarely and easily treated.

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

May you be happy, successful, and healthy.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dear Dr Ravoof,Thank you for your response. I understand regarding the possibility that the flu shot triggered the original onset of the urticaria. This seems likely considering the timing.However, I do not understand your second point " this is unrelated to the cold urticaria and occurs rarely and easily treated". My wife has been diagnosed with "chronic idiopathic cold urticaria". She has endured years of treatment, from NHS dermatologists and the Professor of Immunology at Derriford Hospital, Plymouth. She has been prescribed every known combination of anti-hystamenes, with zero effect. She has now been signed off as untreatable. (As background, she is an extremely healthy and fit 68-year old, who suffers no other ailments and is on no medication. However, a single exposure of any part of her skin to cold air results in an immediate breakout of hives.)I do not wish to challenge any medical opinion, but should be delighted if you are aware of any remaining means of treatment.Thank you

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry for the confusion, since I may not have conveyed what I intended correctly. What I meant was that the vaccination may cause another condition known as acute urticaria and this acute urticaria which occurs rarely as an adverse effect of the vaccination is easily treatable. The cold urticaria is of course as experienced by you is a chronic disease and not easy to treat. However the answer to your question is that she need not worry about the vaccination exacerbating her symptoms or condition and can go ahead with the vaccination.

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.