Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I fell out of bed in july this year and landed on my right

Customer Question

I fell out of bed in july this year and landed on my right shoulder since then I hace had pins and needles in my arm going across my shoulder into my spine . this lasted for a few weeks . now I am having terrible tooth ache for wont of a better word in the right side of my neck across the shoulder and down into my arm as far as the elbow . I did self refer to physio but heard nothing the pain is worse in the evening night and when I get up in the morning . I am taking painkillers co codamol 30/500 which I take for my back
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry that you are having so many problems.

Do you have any chronic medical problems besides the back problems?

Are you taking any chronic medicines besides the Co-codamol?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

The most likely cause of an ache in the side of the neck that radiates down the shoulder into the arm would be from a problem in the neck. The most common would be from an exacerbation of degenerative disease of the spine. However, it would require a proper evaluation to determine the underlying cause.

At home, there are limited options of what can be done. One of the key home interventions would be the use of an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, if not already taking. The reason that I asked for further information is not only to know whether you are already taking an anti-inflammatory drug, but also to know whether there are any other medical condition or medicines that would preclude the use of an anti-inflammatory medicine.

It also would be OK to try local care to the neck, such as ice and moist heat.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.