KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
22767285

Recently minor scratches and wounds bleed more profusely

Recently minor scratches and wounds bleed more profusely than normal. Can haemophilia develop, or is it something you are you only have from birth?
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Thank you for your question. I will be happy to help.

Hemophilia is a genetic condition which one is born with. Therefore, hemophilia does not "develop" over time.

However, there are various medical problems that can develop during life which can produce a tendency to bleed. Any such medical condition that affects the function of the clotting factors or the platelets in the bloodstream can increase the tendency for one to have bleeding issues.

As such, if you are finding that you are bleeding more than normal, it would be worthwhile to consult with a doctor, so that he may run appropriate testing, which likely would include some bloodwork to see if you have any problems with those clotting factors or platelets.

Some conditions that could lead to bleeding too easily can be dangerous if not treated appropriately, but for many such conditions an appropriate treatment would exist. Only by seeing a doctor would you know for sure what is going on.

Best wishes. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If this has been helpful, please rate me highly. Bonuses always appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Many thanks.I will contact my doctor with a request for a blood test for clotting factor,etc.
Apologies for not responding earlier. It was 3 a.m. and more sleep was indicated!
If I wish, how do I stop future payments as I do not anticipate frequent contact will be necessary.