Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

My father is 76, suffering from PSP. he had a PEG procedure

Customer Question

hi. My father is 76, suffering from PSP. he had a PEG procedure on tuesday. we seem to be getting alot of clear fluid oozing from the cut.
a little while ago, gave him some water orally and some liquid, slightly brownish oozed out and. it smells quite foul.
Is this normal?
Expert:  The Physician replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to JA. I am a Physician of more than 25 years and work in the Emergency department. We see a ot of persons with various PEG tube related issues on a daily basis

PEG placement if it done by an experienced surgeon is a fairly safe and uncomplicated procedure in persons without a primary lesion in the stomach.

Regarding the oozing around the tube, that is EXPECTED in the first few days.

The recommendation is that you should wipe it with clean gauze and after, use fresh gauze methyl alcohol to gently wipe the are around it.

The smell is usually serous fluid which smell raw mixed with gastric secretions. What you must watch out for are pus or excessive bleeding. OR fever

Please get a trained health care personnel to have a second look if the oozing continues

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. But its been 6 days since the procedure. Should it still be oozing?
there's no pus as yet,
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he's still in a lot of pain, is that normal?

If it is not a lot, and If it is not purulent, and the area around it is looking clean. That is acceptable. just give him prescribed pain medication and follow my advise above

Also pain may be expected locally (where you have the cut) for a few days [I use few days because it varies widely from up to 8 days]

The flag signs are as I mentioned previously(fever, purulent discharge or changes in the skin around the cut), however if he is experiencing moderate discomfort or pain, that may be enough reason to actively seek review by he surgeons or his PCP

One thing,

If the pain is outside of the upper abdomen where he has the cut, it is also AN INDICATION to seek review by the surgeons or take him to the ER

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Doctor. Guess we'll just monitor.

Thank you for using our service

Please remember to click accept and acknowledge my answers