Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I have been having problems with my periods since March last

Customer Question

Hi. I have been having problems with my periods since March last year when I stopped birth control. I have long gaps between periods, sometimes 70 odd days, but mostly around 50 days. My periods are very different in length. I am also classed as obese. I did see a gynaecologist in January as I was concerned and it showed that my ovaries were polysystic. The two previous periods I've had have been ok. The one in Jan was a lot of spotting and stop start bleeding. The one I'm having now seems to be the same but longer. I think I've had the main period but started spotting again about 4 days after. This is intermittent and I had a slightly heavier bit this morning. Please help
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 7 months ago.

Do you wish to become pregnant soon?

What did the gynaecologist recommend? Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He recommended met Metmorfin but my own doctor wasn't concerned as I was having enough periods. I do have a son and would like another child yes

Sorry for the delay. I was called away.

It sounds like you do have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). The primary problem in women with PCOS is that they don't ovulate. That's what causes the long time between periods. Eventually your uterine lining builds up, and then the spotting and sometimes prolonged bleeding can occur.

Losing weight is one of the best treatments for PCOS, and for many women, if they lose much weight, they begin to ovulate and have regular periods.

Metformin is another treatment for PCOS. It can be helpful, but by itself it probably won't do a lot

If you're not planning another child now, the best treatment is usually to go back on birth control pills. That controls your hormones and your periods until you decide to become pregnant.

When you do decide to get pregnant, there is medication called clomid that will often help you to ovulate. Sometimes it's given together with metformin. I hope that's helpful.

Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry. I'm not able to call your number.

You could call me at(###) ###-####in the US.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok not to worry, I will message you instead. The bleeding is quite erratic, so it could just be some spotting and then nothing for a few days. Then it could be like a period. It's weird

As I mentioned, the erratic bleeding is due to not ovulating and the resultant extra buildup of your uterine lining. That extra buildup can be resolved using either progesterone pills or birth control pills.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thank you. I do google a lot of things and get myself in a knot about medical conditions.

Probably no need to get in a know about it. It's pretty straightforward as far as what's going on and how to correct it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi just an update it has turned into a proper period. I'm still really worried that it could be something else. I don't understand that the uterine lining could build up that much as I've had some periods

You have mentioned that your periods tend to be different lengths. I suspect that you may be having bleeding at times although you haven't ovulated. If ovulation doesn't occur, then you can have bleeding, but the uterine lining doesn't clean itself off, and the lining then continues to build up.