Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

This is very embarrassing so please don't judge me. My

Customer Question

Hello. This is very embarrassing so please don't judge me. My partner had a medical abortion last week. The Day before we had unprotected sex. As we knew you cannot have sex for a period of time after an abortion. The reason it was unprotected was because she was already pregnant. But now we are both extremely concerned, that she could again become pregnant due to this after the abortion? Is this possible? And what are the chances of becoming pregnant from unprotected sex the day before an abortion? I know this is really stupid and embarrassing. But we are extremely concerned.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

No, this is not possible

you cannot become pregnant that quickly. I'm 100% sure

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you please give me some more information as to why this is 100% not possible from a medical perspective please?

you can't become pregnant when you are already pregnant.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What about after the abortion? How long will my sperm be able to live inside her? And how quickly could she become fertile again?

It would take at least a month for things to "reset" to ovulate again and have another child

not possible

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would the abortion also flush out any remaining sperm that was left behind? I've read that women can be very fertile straight after abortion? Misscarriges? Or child birth? Is this true?

No, this is not true.