Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have seen my GP today and just wanted to know if the tests

I have seen my GP today and just wanted to know if the tests suggest are the best course of action. I am a 39 year old women and suffer from a autio immune skin condition. I take Azathioprine and prednisone. I notice a lump in the right of my neck about 3 months ago I put it down to an enlarged lymph node. Well it's still there now it's not painful to touch but over the past 3 wks I have been feeling a pressure at the side of my thoart all the way down my jar going to my ear, but still no pain but am aware of it now unlike before.
My Doctor checked my ears and thoart which are normal.
She suggested blood test FBC , u&E LFT CRP TFT and bone profile. A blood test a few wks ago showed my WCC to be a little low.
She also as booked a scan on my neck.
Apart from that the only other symptoms I have is tiredness but there as been a lot going on recently.
I just wanted to know if the Lymph node was malignant would and USS be reliable enough.
I am aware that my medication puts me at some risk.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am a cancer doctor

yes, a neck ultrasound scan is the first step in seeing if the lymph node is malignant or not.

you should ask your doctor for blood test to check for ebstein barr virus infection which causes mononucleosis viral infection which can cause enlarged lymph nodes and fatigue.

I bet the ultrasound will show evidenced of enlarged reactive lymph node and not signs of malignant lymph node

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

If it is an enlarged reactive lymph node will anything need doing about it. I was not getting any pressure from it until 3 weeks ago. Just wondering why it's getting worse when I have had it for 3 months now. Thanks.

a reactive lymph node can be left alone.

your viral infection or mononucleosis infection could be causing fatigue

reactive lymph nodes swell up to help make more antibodies to help fight off infections.

the lymph node is part of your immune system and is working to try to keep you healthy.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Am assuming there is no time scale to when all this may settle down.

Michelle.

reactive lymph nodes times vary from patient to patient.

everyones immune system is different.