Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have recently been diagnosed with a carcenoid tumour on

Customer Question

I have recently been diagnosed with a carcenoid tumour on the lung which is benign. Are there any other options available to treat this?other than surgery? I am 76 just recovering from a stroke, and I care for my Autistic son.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I am a cancer doctor

carcinoid tumors are a type of neuroendocrine cancers

they can be slow growing, but they usually are not benign and can spread and become problematic.

you need blood tests for Chromagranin A levels and a octreotide full body scan or PET/CT scan to see the extent of carcinoid tumor in your body

have you had these tests?

usually surgery is not used to treat carcinoid lung tumors

usually a medication called sandostatin is used.

if the carcinoid tumor is in a small area, radiation therapy can be used daily for several weeks or so to kill the tumor as well without surgery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your response. Yes I had a Pet scan and there was no other cancer. present in any other part of the body.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I tried to call you through the system, but there was no answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much gor responding to my question.....and very helpful and reassuring............So far everyone I see will only mention surgery and as I had a stroke earlier this year, and I look after my Auristic son. He simply could nor cope with having to go into emergency care again. He was traumatised having to spend three months in care when I had the stroke. That is why I am looking for the alternatives to surgery."
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

ask your doctors about radiation therapy or sandostatin therapy as well