wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I do have a doctors appointment planned for 2nd November,

Customer Question

I do have a doctors appointment planned for 2nd November, however, I am a bit concerned about symptoms I have been experiencing for the last couple of weeks.
I have been getting pain in my hand (right hand) and experiencing slight numbness in the middle finger, this comes and goes. I do have some symptoms in my left hand but not as bad. Just the last few days I have been experiencing a feeling of like I’m going to fall over when walking (I have experienced this symptom on and off for years, but it always clears up). This symptom with my walking does always seems to happen around times of stress.
My eyes have been a bit sore, but I've been spending a huge amount of time on the PC at work and also phone/ipad at home.
I have been having slight shortness of breath with very slight exertion, but again this doesn’t happen all the time. My ear does feel quite blocked and so does my nose. I have been having very bad episodes of anxiety for the last 6 weeks following an extremely stressful time at work. I am prone to anxiety, but am also concerned that these symptoms may be something more sinister.
regards
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

How long has this been going on?

M/F?

How old are you?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just the last few weeks, as I said the leg thing has happened before, on and off for years I have been to the GP many times with it and usually put down to anxiety.
I am female and suffer from Riboflavin Responsive Multiple Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase Deficiency and take riboflavin. I take dizapam for anxiety when required.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also I was recently in hospital with food poisoning - and they said I had low calcium, which I had forgotten about, could this be the issue?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

At this point I think, especially if you don't get the answers you need during your Nov 2nd appointment, the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

In the USA the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and the UK and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you - that would be difficult where I come from in Scotland. I suppose I was just looking for reassurance that this wasn't something serious that I should be concerned about and require urgent medical care? I do have an appointment with my consultant for my RR-MADD in November too so can discuss this with him.Do you think some of the symptoms could be related to anxiety? Or probably not?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

I have visited your beautiful country and even went up to chat with Nessi...but she was on vacation the day we stopped by her old castle ;)

From what you have posted, I do not believe your symptoms are suggestive of anything terrible or that needs urgent medical care.

Anxiety can cause a very wide range of issues so, yes, this may be from your anxiety. I am glad to hear that you have an upcoming appointment with your RR-MADD and will be able to discuss this in depth.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS