Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am shivering, feeling unwell,headaches and ñot eating.

Customer Question

I am shivering, feeling unwell,headaches and ñot eating. This is my 3rd day. Is there anything I can do
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Have you checked your temperature when you have the shivering?

If so, how high does the temperature get?

Are you able to drink fluids?

Have you tried any over the counter medicines for this?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

The most common cause of these symptoms would be a generic viral infection. There is nothing that works to directly eradicate a generic viral infection, so management is oriented towards symptomatic relief and supportive care.

Shivering can be related to the presence of a fever, and if so, using acetaminophen for relief of the fever will also help ease the shivering.

The other major consideration would be to increase the amount of fluid intake to assure optimal hydration. It is far more important to drink fluids than to eat solid food. If you simply do not feel like eating, but can drink fluids, then it would be fine to just drink extra fluids. If you are having difficulty tolerating fluids because of nausea, then it may help to try an over the counter antihistamine to see if it eases any nausea. The good medicines for this are only available by prescription, but the best that can be obtained over the counter are antihistamines.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.