Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have a strong dose of the flu which came on me Thursday

Customer Question

I have a strong dose of the flu which came on me Thursday afternoon, am coughing a lot, lack of sleep, pains in my back, at the back of my eyes. Generally I feel horrible for last few days am on my 2nd cough bottle and drinking a lot of Lemsips. Going to the toilet a lot at night also. My GP is at home in Cork and I am over in Glasgow studying a masters degree. Have to get an assignment started and completed for Wednesday at noon. I am concerned this is getting too much for me. Do not know any service in Glasgow to get help hence trying this route. I can't go on like this and need help. Pat McEnroy
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Do you have symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge , headache specially on bending forward, fever etc ? What have you tried so far? Regards

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
running nose late last night, using tissues a lot. Have tried as indicated drinking a lot of Limsips and on 2nd cough bottle for chesty cough relief
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I also have headache - mild pain in my head, and an feeling fever
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you there?

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concerns but later you can ask anything you want. As per your description yes this sounds like a flu attack and mostly they are viral. However they can soon get super added by a bacterial infection. Ideally speaking for earliest recovery you should go to A&E as getting steroids can help you a lot but I understand that you are here because you can't access your health services so I do have suggestions for you;

1. Otrivin nasal spray 2 puffs thrice daily for 5 days

2. Mucinex twice daily for 7 days

3. Steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily

4. Use hot drinks.

5. Tablet advil thrice daily

Everything that I have mentioned is available over the counter from pharmacy without prescription. If symptoms persist, see your doctor but I am hopeful that you will feel better soon. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you excellent service but if you have received anything less, please ask anything you want. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for that. My doctor is over in Cork and am here in Glasgow. Is it possible to obtain a sick not for college?

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry but we can't provide any sick leave or certificate online. Moreover I would like to share a home remedy. Take 250 ml of honey, add one table spoon each of ginger extract and black pepper. Make a solution and take one teaspoon twice daily. It will help you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would have a concern about going to a hospital A/E because in Ireland frontline staff are young trainee doctors. I was once sent back to an A/E and met Stephen Cusack in Cork which was not a very nice experience. His behaviour was rough and unpleasant towards me and I kept a diary record of that incident. You can Google him he is very much a heavyweight

You can start with my suggestions and hopefully you will start feeling better. I have over 15 years of treating patients and hopefully you will feel relieved after following my suggestions. At least you can start with them. Please remember to rate my answer. Regards