Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I'm 20 years old and my mum is seriously ill, she has been

Customer Question

Hello. I'm 20 years old and my mum is seriously ill, she has been an alcoholic for over 20 years, she's dangerously thin, medically very ill. She also is fiercely paranoid and very unpredictable, she's abusive mentally and physically, and I'm terrified she's going to die I'm scared of her and so is my family. she won't get any help what so ever, it's obvious she's suffering with mental health issues and on top of that she's a serious alcoholic, I don't know how to help her I've asked my psychiatrist and she feels she needs long term inpatient care. But she won't be assessed, what can I do?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am so sorry about your mother.

it can be very difficult to see a loved one decline and suffer without being able to help them.

if she is not willing to help herself, then it can make it very difficult to help her

it does sound like she needs to be assessed and put into a long term inpatient care facility.

it sounds like she is a danger to herself as well

if she is a danger to herself, she can be sectioned by the authorities and placed into a mental facility against her will.

you may have to contact local hospitals or mental health facilities to have her sectioned into a mental health facility for forced treatment and forced residency if she is a danger to herself.