wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

If you have Gilbert syndrome can you still have

Customer Question

Hi if you have Gilbert syndrome can you still have Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.

Can you give me more background data on your particular clinical situation? This is, really, not a simple yes or no issue....

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not taking any medication I have multiple sclerosis so have a chance to have Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation with my own stem cells to help treat it but will having Gilbert's syndrome allow me to have this
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

There is not a lot of data on Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in the face of MS and concurrent Gilbert's syndrome. Most of the recent work has focused on patients with CLL.

That being said a study published in the NEJM showed that this might be feasible.

So. What is the take home message?

The answer is a definite maybe......

The best way to know if Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation will work in your particular situation is to discuss it in depth with your medical team. A yes or no answer is beyond the scope of what can be provided on this sort of forum....especially on such an important question.

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS