Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have had a gum infection around one of my teeth for around

Customer Question

Hi. I have had a gum infection around one of my teeth for around 6 months now, and I have been foolish to ignore this because I haven't had time to go and see the specialist. I was told that the specialist would decide whether or not my tooth could be saved by a root canal, or whether they would have to remove the tooth. I have now left it for 6 months since being told this by the dentist, and I now have a big visible swelling all around the left side of my mouth where the gum infection has spread. I have been reading today that this could be really severe and can even cause death, so I have become very panicky. I have a dental appointment on Thursday, but naturally I'm now worrying a lot and Thursday seems a long time away!! What can I do??
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.

You are right the increased swelling shows infection and if it is causing severe pain or troubled breathing or keep increasing in size you need to go to urgent care for getting acute pain control and antibiotics for infection.Do not stress yourself it is treatable condition.

Hope this helps.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Dr Uzair, so do you think I should hold tight until Thursday when I see the dentist? It shouldn't be absolutely catastrophic to leave it another 2 days?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.

If you do not have unbearable pain or troubled breathing due to increased swelling you can hold till Thursday but in case you develop any of these symptoms do visit an urgent care.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.