Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

For the past four nights including tonight I have been

Customer Question

For the past four nights including tonight I have been unable to catch a breath lying flat. On the first I slept for 20 minutes, the second and third about 2 hours and tonight none thus far. I thought initially that it might be flu as recently the very thought of eating has made me nauseus and although my central heating has been set at 25C I have been feeling increasingly cold though wrapped up in fleeces and it seems that every muscle in my upper body is aching and giving stabbing pains when used.
Currently I am male, 73, have been HIV+ for 24 years and take 2x400mg Raltegravir, 2x300mg Abacavir & 1x600mg Efavirenz daily for that. I've had an Ileostomy for 21 years, my pituitary gland has been faulty for several years and I've been taking 15mg Hydrocortisone and 10 mcg Levothyroxine daily for that, I've been diagnosed with Emphesema for several years now and use Seretide 500 accuhaler twice daily, Spiriva 18mcg inhalers once daily and Ventolin Evohaler as required for that.
If you can make any suggestions I'd be obliged
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you need to see a doctor right away and get a chest X-ray or CT scan to check for fluid in the lungs which can make it difficult to breath laying down flat.

new weakness in the heart can back fluid in the lungs which can make it difficult to breath.

low red blood cell counts can make you short of breath.

when was the last time you had blood work or had a chest X-ray?