Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My term partner, Female,61,Generally healthy, but deafness

Customer Question

My long term partner, Female,61,Generally healthy, but deafness becoming near total now. medication = 1x75mg Aspirin daily only.
A week ago woke to vertigo/dizziness and pain in right side of head "like an axe down the middle, but I can only feel pain on one side". Also felt like "waterfalling" down inside rt. side of head. Still present, but now in waves of less dizzy, more pain then vice versa.
This has occurred in the past, requiring visits to Dr; various diagnoses from migraine, vertigo, labyrinthitis, viral to 'nothing to worry about'. Each re-occurrence appears to have affected ability to hear, and tinnitus throughout.
Mother had 'Menieres' but not standard issue; it too only came in bouts periodically, but was disabling when it did, and Daughter has been diagnosed with Severe Right-sided Vestibular Asymmetry.
Do any of your team/colleagues have knowledge/experience of this disabling ailment, which is also causing my partner anxiety and depression.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry your partner is having these symptoms. she needs to get a brain MRI scan to check for blood clots or strokes or TIA transient ischemic attacks causing her symptoms

an ultrasound of her neck carotid arteries and heart can check for plaques and blockages which can cause clots which can spread to teh brain to cause symptoms.

the NHS sometimes can make it difficult to obtain these tests.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you. I will show her these suggestions.

you are welcome

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com