Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

Pain in my my lower left abdomen Pain is over bikini line

Customer Question

Pain in my my lower left abdomen
Pain is over bikini line towards the left side of my belly button. The pain comes for about 5 to ten seconds and goes again. I comes back every 10 to 20 minutes and last a few days. I had it about 5 weeks ago and it lasted about 4 days then. It does not cause any sleep problems.I have no other symptoms. I am female age 61
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 8 months ago.

Hi Linda. Are you having any problems with your bowel movements (e.g. hard stool, cramping, urgency, diarrhea)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No , nothing only this pain in the lower left side it like a pinching that last a few seconds goes and comes about 3 or 4 times then goes away for 15 to 20 minutes or longer the come back and it is repeated . When I went out walking to day .I didn't have it at all
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 8 months ago.

The intermittent nature is a good sign, especially if there are no associated symptoms. That said, this could represent an irritation in your sigmoid colon, resulting in intermittent spasms. Triggers could be hard stool, trapped gas, colitis, diverticulitis, less likely a polyp or tumor. Similarly, the ureter passes through this area and tiny stones could be getting stuck temporarily on their way into the bladder and out the urine. The fallopian tube and ovary also live in this area, so cysts would have to be considered. For a complete work up, you would need a brief physical exam, an xray or CT scan, possibly an ultrasound to look at the ovarian region, or a colonoscopy to look inside the colon.