Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My brother has cirrhosis for ten years.was alchol free for 3

Customer Question

My brother has cirrhosis for ten years.was alchol free for 3 then started drinking again.He also has heptic encephalopathy.He also takes 11 60mg dyhdracodine prescribed by his docter.He has just been admitted with cponfusing paranoid hallucations and comstipation.they are treating alchol withdrawals but im worried sick
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He also has varices and had banding 3 or 4 times
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just reallĺy want to know what is the outlook.he has rafixamin and lactullose daily senna but doesnt eat alot and has real trouble sleeping suicidal thought.chopped his pinkie off in june.thank you debbie
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 8 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would like to wait for answer
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 8 months ago.

Dear customer,

Though the prognosis and outlook for each case varies, however based on studies it is seen that the outlook of hepatic encephalopathy is poor and the occurrence of encephalopathy which is severe enough to lead to hospitalization has a survival probability of 42% at 1 year of follow-up and 23% at 3 years.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365817

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work.
Wishing you all the very best in life.
May you be happy, successful, and healthy.