Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have a kidney infection as diagnosed today but have had

Customer Question

I have a kidney infection as diagnosed today but have had symptoms for a long time. How long do the antibiotics take to make a noticeable effect? Also the GP detected ketones in my urine - are these usually present with an infection? I'm not diabetic as far as I'm aware, not pregnant and am eating adequate amounts of food. Could it be a sign that the infection has spread? Please help me out because I'm worried.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

1)They should work within 24-48 hours

2)Yes, they can be. Especially a serious infection because the body is trying to fight off the bacteria

3)Yes, it could be. The body starts to break down muscle and other tissue to fight infection and that can make ketones

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for this question
Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)
If you have more questions, just reply.