Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

On three different periods over seven months i have had and

Customer Question

Hello, on three different periods over seven months i have had and been treated for cellulitis, i have had MRI SCAN and at present have appointment for results 30th Nov.
In the meantime i have sever pain in the area of my foot which was treated for cellulitis,
it feel,s very much like bone pain with swelling.
Can you advise.
many thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it possible it could be Osteomyelitis as it never goes away that is the pain
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is possible that someone with recurring cellulitiis of the foot could have an associated underlying osteomyelitis. There are many clinical factors that affect the relative risk of developing osteomyelitis, such as diabetes or previous trauma to the foot. However, if the doctor ordered an MRI because of these episodes of cellulitiis, it is likely that your doctor is concerned about the possibility of osteomyelitis.

Certainly, persistent pain can occur with osteomyelitis, but it is not the only condition that can do so. There are many other conditions that can cause foot pain that does not go away with treating the infection, the most often being degenerative arthritis.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.