Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a diabetic and am having half of both my big ingrowing

Customer Question

i am a diabetic and am having half of both my big ingrowing toenails removed next week.
should i be put on antibiotics
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

It is not always necessary to be placed on antibiotics for removal of ingrown toenails. However, it is fairly common for there to be a secondary infection of an ingrown toenail, and even sometimes a collection of pus associated with the infection. In those cases in which there is any infection, it is appropriate to use antibiotics in preparation for the ingrown toenail removal. However, many cases ingrown toenail removal do not need antibiotic coverage, even in diabetics.

The doctor that has scheduled the procedure should have assessed the toe and judged whether antibiotics would be appropriate. If that assessment has already been done and the doctor has not put you on antibiotics, then that would typically indicate that he/she judged that it is not necessary.

Is there any additional information that would be helpful?

I have not heard back, so will interpret that to mean that there is no further information that would be helpful.