Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I have a swollen urethral orfice, mild pain when urinating

Customer Question

Hello dr I have a swollen urethral orfice , mild pain when urinating but no discharge , it has got better the last couple of days but I'm still concerned. I have been to the Drs and the nurse done a urine test and said I didn't have a water infection how accurate are these tests? I have had sex 3 times in 2 months all with condoms . Please advise
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 11 months ago.

Were you tested for STD's? Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I plan to go tomorrow, donyiu think it could be std? As I say we used protection and me and my partner have both only slept with each other

Condoms are good protection, but they're not perfect. STD's can still occur.

A swollen urethral orifice plus pain when urinating (with no urinary infection) are due to an STD until proven otherwise. These symptoms are common when there is an STD present, and unusual otherwise.

It's good that you will be tested tomorrow.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How accurate is the test for urine infection? And how could std occur if condom didn't break

It depends on the test used as to how accurate it is for urine infection. However, a urine infection doesn't generally involve the urethra, and occurs inside the bladder. Your symptoms are more of urethritis, which is often, but not always caused by an STD.

When condoms are used, some semen can leak into the vagina causing an STD. With perfect use, it would be unusual, but condoms are not always used perfectly.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Dr I should also add that my period has started 9 days early when im normalLy very regular

It's hard to know what that means. It could be due to stress.

Please click the rating stars. Thank you.