Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

Ive been battling an issue for a while not sure why and how

Customer Question

Hi Ive been battling an issue for a while not sure why and how it came about but I've been craving and eating cotton wool not as a weight loss thing but just a daily craving. It actually started years ago with tissue paper but escalated to cotton wool to the point where if I don't have any cotton wool at home I would go and buy like 5 pack and I'll get through a whole pack of 60 a day sometimes even more. I start cramping really bad but I keep eating it. I really want and need to stop but I don't know how. Could you help me please
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

yes, I am happy to help you

we are here to help answer medical questions

eating cotton wool is called pica and can be due to medical and psychological issues

you have to see a doctor and get blood test to check for iron and mineral deficiencies in your blood system

and you need to get counseling and therapy to help you stop eating cotton.

are you willing to see a doctor?