The Physician
The Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Versatile emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician
37289694

4 days ago a bit down on my lower molar and had a sudden

Customer Question

4 days ago a bit down on my lower molar and had a sudden pain. After releasing bite my tooth was fine (can eat on it) however I've had pain in the jaw line under this tooth since, ranging from sharp pain in upper neck when I turn my head and a dull tingling ache in jaw line when I open my mouth...This pain feels like it's in the bone.
This molar has a large composite filling as I have fractured the tooth a year ago, also the filling is attached to another tooth, forming a bridge between the teeth. (I don't think that's normal) anyway my question is can you break a tooth and see no visible break and have no pain in that tooth or have l damaged the jaw it's self? The jaw line is swollen slightly but the gums aren't.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  The Physician replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com. I am an Emergency physician with over 25 years multi-disciplinary experience. I am going to be your expert in this question.
However, I would like a few more information from you to help streamline your answer

The temporomandibular joint TMJ is just close by and fits the description that you gave. TMJ dysfunction. All the other possibilities would have shown physical signs like redness etc

http://media.summitmedicalgroup.com/media/db/relayhealth-images/tempmanj_1.jpg

However, the original injury may be just at the gum/dental socket, but the proximal relationship of the TMJ makes it vulnerable in an incident as you described.

irrespective of what structures involved, the treatment would involve just treatment with NSAIDs like Naproxene and being cautious with chewing on that side till it heals.

However, if symptoms persist, then you may need to go to the dentist for possible x-ray

Thank you for making it Justanswer.com.

Please remember to click the accept button and rate me before you close.

If there are any other clarification you would like, please let us know