Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I get theses dark sore lumps I mean a new one every month!

Customer Question

Hi I get theses dark sore lumps I mean a new one every month! They appear in same areas under curve of bum, inner thigh, top of leg near knicker line and odd time inner bum check (luckily no one sees this area).
They sart as a sore red lump then double in size and then I get a burning sore pain, that's when the purple spot appears and eventually will bleed and stay open for a long period of time and keep bleeding.
When they heel they scar dark spots!
I'm getting depressed as can't stop them and hate the sight of myself!! I feel dirty and I'm not a dirty person :(
Dr said might be boils but unsure said to use soap with PH balance and no perfume (gave me prescription for it) it made things worse!!!
Please help as I can't stand to look at myself and the pain is really unbearable at times.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Are you able to upload a picture here of the sore bump?
Anybody else in your family has similar condition?
Do you have any other medical condition?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
See attached.
I have pictures of the ones that left scars if needed.
No other medical conditions and no one in family has same as far as I am aware and I have mentioned my problem as it's depressing me and starting to find it very hard to handle (sorry if that's a weak thing to say).
Thank you for responding.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the pics.
I understand your frustration with this ongoing problem.
They do look like an inflammatory condition known as Pyoderma Gangrenosum ( PG).
This can be caused by the underlying inflammatory condition like arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, hematological disorders like IgA monoclonal gammopathy, or genetic defects.
repeated trauma from knicker line or a bacterial infection also can trigger this condition.
A dermatologist should be consulted with for confirmation of diagnosis.
For treatment, you should be on an oral antibiotic like doxycycline 100 mg twice daily and oral steroid like prednisone 40 mg daily for 2 weeks. That should show dramatic improvement.
Best wishes