Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I have a question regarding my cycle... I'm on a mini pill

Customer Question

I have a question regarding my cycle... I'm on a mini pill zelletta.
My period in May was on the 15th. Few days after that (around 20th) I had sex and after having sex on the next day I missed the pill (I took one the night I had sex but forgot the next night). I've been taking the pill regularly everyday since then.
Somehow my period in June came early on the 6th. My concern is that yesterday I had sex and today I again started bleeding. It seems like it's another period but I'm not sure yet. It's just like at the begging of every period... It looks like I had an extra one but I'm not sure.
Can this be somehow normal and what could be the cause of such often bleeding? I read online that among many issues it could be pregnancy but surely not with three periods in 31 days! I also don't feel like that and the period that came early was completely normal (maybe a little longer post period spotting) I'm on the move for my work and can't go and see anyone now. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 months ago.

How long have you been on the mini pill?

Are your periods usually quite regular?

Have you not had irregular bleeding before on the mini pill? Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I switched to mini-pill about half a year ago, But I don't see my partner often and sometimes I didn't take the pill for a month or so because there was no point... Before that I was on Gedarelle for 3 years. My periods are usually quite regular. I haven't ever experienced such a quick bleeding after bleeding ever in my life.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am healthy and ok otherwise,

Pregnancy is unlikely to be the cause of your bleeding. It's much more likely that the bleeding is just a side effect of the mini pill, which is very common.

It is important to take the mini pill every day, as missing a day can possibly result in pregnancy. But still not very likely, and irregular bleeding on the mini pill is very common, even in someone who hasn't had such bleeding before.

When there is going to be irregular bleeding from any cause, it often comes after having sex, for some reason.

Pregnancy is also unlikely because it would be quite unusual to get pregnant having sex day 5 or 6 of your cycle. Plus you then had a normal period June 6, although an early one.

So I think that pregnancy is quite unlikely. If you do develop any symptoms, I'd do a pregnancy test, just to be sure. Otherwise I'd keep taking the mini pill daily. Best wisehs.