Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My 91year old father has cellulitis in his lower right leg.

Customer Question

My 91year old father has cellulitis in his lower right leg. He has liquid oozing from his foot, is that to do with cellulitis? His Dr has told him to wear compression stockings but his foot still leaks and soaks his stockings. Will the leak ever stop?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Yes, cellulitis can cause fluid to ooze from the skin of the leg or foot. Fluid oozing from the leg or foot can also be due to other conditions of the leg, such as chronic venous insufficiency, but if the oozing only started when the cellulitis developed, then the oozing is likely due to the cellulitis. When the oozing is due to cellulitis, the oozing will typically resolve as the cellulitis is treated. When the oozing is due to other conditions of the leg, the underlying condition may be more stubborn in some people than others, so getting control of the oozing may be more difficult in some people.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.