The Physician
The Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Versatile emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician
37289694

I was bitten by a cat today in Lanzarote. Will I be okay? Or

Customer Question

I was bitten by a cat today in Lanzarote. Will I be okay? Or should I seek medical attention? I'm scared of catching rabies?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  The Physician replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com.

I am an Emergency physician with over 25 years multi-disciplinary experience. I am going to be your expert in this question

The cats fang are very sharp and can cause deep punctures "injecting" bacteria into the body. It is difficult to adequately clean puncture wounds to prevent infection from developing.

So my advise is that this need to be considered an emergency and taken seriously, since most cat bites become infected. The most common infection associated with cat bites is caused by a bacteria called Pasteurella, which normally resides in the nasal cavity and oral cavity of cats.

So wash the wound thoroughly with soap and water and also apply any antibiotic solution like Betadine solution to prevent infection, and cover the bite with a clean bandage.

Go to the emergency room if you are unable to see your regular doctor within a few hours after the bite. Cat bites can develop infection quickly, 2 to 12 hours after the bite, even if you did thoroughly wash the wound.

Bites to the hand are potentially dangerous and can get infected quickly

Thank you for making it Justanswer.com. Please remember to click the accept button and rate me before you close. If there are any other clarification you would like, please let us know