Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had huge pain on my right calf, lost balance, I was

Customer Question

I had huge pain on my right calf, lost balance, I was drooling and felt cold, couldn't use my right arm at first to open the door to get to the toilet so unfortunately soiled myself and stumbled on the stairs going up. Very scary. I'm 54 with no healt issues. Please advice what to do. I also had visual disturbance as if I was having a migraine without a headache. My leg hurt like today once before last week but it passed after a while, made walking difficult. I'm fit and active, run London marathon last yr. don't know what to do now. The leg is getting better now.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Loss of balance, visual disturbances, calf pain, and inability to use your right arm for brief period point to the direction of possible TIA or mini stroke in the brain due to the reduce blood flow to the brain stem area.
This can occur from plaque build up in the cerebral blood vessels, or from vessel spasms from unknown reason.
Although symptoms are improving, you need a thorough neurological evaluation and a MRI scan of the brain with angiogram.
These work up are required to prevent any major stroke in future.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-basu/