Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I was wondering if any of you docs had any answers for the

Customer Question

Hello there, i was wondering if any of you docs had any answers for the following. Im a ypung active guy and the past going to the gym has been a massive escape for dealing with everyday stresses etc. In the past ive never had any issues any muscle group i wanted to target I could exmaples if i wanted to do chest press i had full contracrion of the chest no shoulder pain etc. If i wanted to do a lat pull down i could feel mt lats engaging. If i wanted to a rear deltoid exercise i could target them and get goos muscle engagment. About 3 and half years ago i started a new gyn programme where i was lifting weights to a tempo for example doing chest press with a 4 1 tempo so ecenteric of 4 secounds and conseteric of 1 secound. So i was doing all my lifts fo various tempos. After about 5 to 6 months i realised that this wasnt working for me the only thing i can put my finger on is that i was concentrating so much on the tempo i dunno if the rest of my body switched off. I went back to mh normal way of training and i couldnt get any muscle engagment on any of my lifts ..... ive been struggling with this for a long time now. Would be worth seeing a neuroligist ??
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 11 days ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

No I don't think so.

A very subtle difference like this wouldn't be able to be detected on any tests

This seems more like something to do with a technique or body change

I would see a trainer first

is this helpful?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yeah ive seen various trainers my brother is a strength and conditioning coach i just cant seem to recruit the right muscles ?? Ive seen a physio who deals with elite athletes and has told me my mobility is good !

in that case perhaps a neurologist visit would help

an EMG and an MRI of the brain would rule out any neurological causes

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for this question.

I strive for 5 star service for all customers.

If you have more questions, just reply :)