Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

For the past few weeks I've had pain in my lower left

Hi, for the past few weeks I've had pain in my lower left abdomen, I thought it may be due to the amount of stress I've been under, then it got worse, especially at night, I felt like my stomach was really bloated and it was pushing against my lungs making it hard to breath but that has ceased in the past couple of nights and has reverted back to the pain in lower abdomen, it was a little frightening and was wondering if there's any cause for concern? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Is this a constant pain? Any fever or change in bowel movements?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It almost feels like something is there in my abdomen, that's only way I can describe it. It never goes away, I have lots of hot flushes and am often lethargic and bowel movements have been a bit erratic but past couple of days it's been more normal, I work nightshift, incase that helps ��
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

OK

David have you had any tests or studies to evaluate this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, this has only appeared in the past three weeks, I'm in a financial nightmare and I'm working pretty much all the time so I've not really had a chance to see my doctor, just thought I'd try here and see if it's worth going to get checked? Judging by your response I'm guessing your gonna tell me to get checked, I will when I can, thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Is this pain constant?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is, it feels like something's there.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Any fever or change in your bowels movements?

And does it hurt more to cough or to stamp your feet on the floor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I get a fever almost daily and bowel movements are a little erratic
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It doesn't hurt to cough or stamp
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

OK David

There are two possibilities here--

One would be irritable bowel syndrome

The other would be diverticulitis--an inflammation and infection of a small pouch in your left colon

I don't see cancer in the picture here if you were worried about that

If I were your doctor I would do an exam, blood work and get a ct scan of your abdomen

IBS can be treated with medications like Linzess

Diverticulitis needs a course of antibiotics

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok Doc, I'll book a day off work and get some tests, thank you for listening and for your advice, take care
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

My pleasure David

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you