Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a UTI and given 7 days of

2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a UTI and given 7 days of trimethropin which were ineffective and ended up in the ER the next day as i was vomiting each time I ate/drank/ high heart rate and temp, high blood pressure and normal blood tests, they advised to keep up with the trimethropin - last friday I went to my GP as the symptoms were getting worse and was given nitrofurantoin for 7 days I am on the 5th day and although the vomiting has subsided as well as the temp I am urinating roughly every 15-20 mins and feeling nausea, i have no temp although I feel very hot and dont have much of an appetite, I have developed a dry cough also I did a urinalysis and its coming up normal, my back is very sore, I dont want to go back to my gp - what do you advise?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

High grade temperature, lack of response to trimethoprim and other symptoms suggest the likelihood of kidney infection.
That can cause soreness of back as well.
Nitrofurantoin is not a good antibiotic for kidney infection, but this may have worked in your case to some extent.
Your current symptoms can be due to the nitrofurantoin related side effect.
If fever returns, then it will suggest an incompletely treated kidney infection.
Ciprofloxacin is a better antibiotic for kidney infection for future reference.
You can try over the counter anti inflammatory medication like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for any improvement in soreness.
If no improvement or return of fever ( temp >101F), then you should see your doctor again and request for a kidney ultrasound as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your response
Does a kidney infection always cause a fever and show in a urinalysis? I was also given cyclizine for sickness which was helping for a while.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

Kidney infection almost always causes fever along with flank pain.
Urine analysis may not be diagnostic always for kidney infection.
Kidney scan is better for diagnosis.
Best wishes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
At the moment my temp 36.7c (98f) is this normal?
thank you
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

This is normal temp.
Very welcome