wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I had a colonoscopy 5 weeks ago and had a large polyps

I had a colonoscopy 5 weeks ago and had a large polyps removed from my rectum. Since then have felt ill with pain and discomfort in the lower bowel and back area and am generally feeling weak and lacking in energy. I have been back to my GP numerous times. Blood, urine and stool tests all show no abnormalities and I do not have any tenderness or blockages in the bowel area which is soft. I use the toilet every morning with normal stools. I do also have an issue with pain in the lower back on standing and sitting which has gone far worse since the colonoscopy. I had an x-ray yesterday on my back and preliminary results suggest wear and tear due to ageing. The full results will not be available for 7 days. I have been taking paracetamol to relieve the pain. I have also had a course of Metronidazole antibiotics and Buscopan tablets which have not made any difference. The only other thing which I have been prescribed is Codeine for the pain. The omly thing that seems to relieve my pain and discomfort is going for a walk. The GP believes that anxiety is contributing to my condition but I do not think that this is the case. Have you any suggestions as to what could could be causing me to feel so ill? I do not seem to be making a lot of progress with my GP.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

When did you last see your GI doctor?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not have any other medical problems or take any other drugs. I saw my doctor yesterday and she just prescribed the pain killers, nothing to remedy the issue.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

I am glad that all your tests have come back OK.

It is possible that anxiety is making things worse. This is very common.

I would suggest you consult with a psychologist or psychiatrist to see if this is the case and, if so, to get the help you need.

You should also increase how much you walk to at least an hour a day.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS