Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been prescribed Miconazole Nitrate with

Hello there, I have been prescribed Miconazole Nitrate with Hydrocortisone for a suspected yeast infection. The two areas of infection are either side of my nose, just on the edge of cheek (common place doctor said)
I initially used the cream for approx. 7 days and it looked to have cleared it up. 5 days after stopping treatment the areas started to go abit crusty/flakey/red again so I've started to apply the cream again. What is the usual time period in which this cream should be used for? Do I have to keep using it for quite a while after the visual affects of infection have gone? Or could this be an infection that the Miconazole Nitrate just can't get on top of?
Many thanks for any advise.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's very difficult to distinguish on a picture, mainly because the cream does seem to work very well and start to clear it. It's just when I stop using the cream the infected areas start to reappear
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Got it--thanks

And did the miconazole completely clear it up the first time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well I thought it had.... it seemed to! I just didn't know how much longer I had to keep using the cream (if at all) after the visual/appearance had gone. I stopped using it as soon as it looked normal again. Too soon?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

OK

Yes--you stopped too soon by several days

This time around I suggest you continue to apply it for a week after the rash disappears

That way it shouldn't recur again

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok great, sounds good to me.Thanks for your advise.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you