Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have hereditary dark circles under my eyes, Have done all

I have hereditary dark circles under my eyes, Have done all my adolescent life. I have porceline skin and they are dark navy, the skin along my nose between my eyes is this navy colour too and I have tried every cream under the sun, they never improve much. Please can you advise me what procedures or prescriptions are available to lighten the skin beneath my eyes to a normal colour?
I have been checked for a huge range of conditions to explain this and I'm healthy, my liver and thyroid function is fine and I drink a lot of water every day. I've tried creams, hemeroid cream on the area, all kinds of moisurisers, Nothing helps with the dark blue colour. They look grey / shadowy even with the best concealer on, they are still very much apparent even after an orangey peach toned colour corrector.
I am 23 and look like I've been punched in the face whenever I'm without makeup, I really would like to get this sorted. I've researched there are some acidic creams that can be prescribed in mild cases or filler surgery in extreme. While I'd rather avoid the idea of filler surgery I really my eyes to be fixed and to not be dark at all anymore so I will go to whatever length necessary.
If you could please advise of my option and how to go about booking them I would reallt appreciate it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Hi Korina. Have you been evaluated by an allergist?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Based on your age and description, you might have what we call "allergic shiners". These are chronic dark circles or bluish discolorations under and between the eyes that look a bit like bruises and can be quite distressing to have. They are thought to be caused by increased blood flow near the sinuses and are associated with occult allergies or food intolerances. Taking a daily anti-histamine (eg. zyrtec, claritin) and using nasal steroids can be very helpful in reducing this phenomenon. The best approach, however, is to see an allergist and get scratch tested for allergies. If you can identify one or more substances that are triggering this, you can eliminate them from your diet or environment with typically excellent results.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Does this make sense? Do you have any follow up questions or comments about this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Test
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr Bob,Thank you for your response.I've had a quick look on Google and some examples are like mine but on others there's a lot of redness and I don't have any redness or puffiness, mine are only blueish tones and the skin looks thin.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It potentially being an allergic reaction brings me on to say that I've been to the doctors a lot and I've had all the blood tests (thyroid, anaemia, white blood cell count etc) because I get recurrent infections in my throat (mix of tonsillitis and laringitis) every 6-8 weeks over the last 8 months,  which causes me to lose my voice.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, I have further messages but it won't let me send them?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll type them out fresh on my lunch, around 12:30 if that's okay
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, I'm always dehydrated. My eyes are dry, my mouth is dry, if I'm in the car with the windows open or in air con without a drink it's not too long before I don't have enough spit to coat the inside of my mouth, my skin is dry and being a girl it affects other areas as well.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I drink a lot of water, probably 6 litres a day maybe more sometimes, and I go for a wee a lot. I feel the need to wee frequently even when I've not had much to drink. I've been checked for diabetes a few times and I'm fine, not at risk.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've always just assumed I've got separate issues, however do you think my eyes could be linked to the above?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

You could have an autoimmune disorder such as Sjogren's, lupus, rheumatoid syndrome, etc. I would have your doctor check your ESR, CRP, FANA, SSA, and RF. Or, he could refer you to a rheumatologist for a work up. In terms of the pictures, not everyone with a disorder will look the same way. There can be a wide variation in look and presentation. Most of us do not "follow the book" so to speak. :-)

That said, it would be worth it to see an allergist as allergies can also cause throat problems. The fix is often simple, and you would be feeling a lot better soon in such a scenario.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** the suggestions - the doctors haven't done much to investigate, I've had to ask for the tests I want done but that's based on Google searches! This has been very helpful and I have a direction to go in - thank you! I can't wait to be fixed haha.