Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I've been having prickly, Itchy, tingling & electrical

I've been having prickly, Itchy, tingling & electrical sensations mainly in my legs for a while now, they seem to start on the side of my inner knee and go down to my ankles especially when sitting. I also get these in my thigh and down the back of my leg. The sensations are pretty much constant and causing me some worry. I don’t really have any other issue, no weakness or numbness just these weird sensations.
I have been getting these sensations for the last 6 months now but they seem to be getting worse. I have also noticed that I am also getting muscle twitching in various parts of my body but mainly from in the legs.
I had a MRI in January and this is what it said
MRI Report – 02/1/2017:
Normal thoracic cord, conus and cauda quina. At C5-6 there is cervical spondylosis with an osteophytic disc bar. No axial images have been obtained at this level. There is minor loss of height of T4 and T5 with no acute bone oedema.
There is disc degeneration from T4 – 5 to T7-8 with endplate changes and minor disc bulges but no cord or nerve root impingement. Further disc degeneration with endplate change only noted from T10 – 11 to L1-2. There is degeneration of the L5/S1 disc with a circumferential disc bulge.
There is bilateral facet joint degeneration at L4-5 and L5/S1 more pronounced on the left at the latter. Normal central canal and neural foramina throughout with no focal nerve root impingement at any level. There are bilateral pars defects (Spondylolysis) at the L5/S1 level with no
displacement/spondylolisthesis.
Conclusion
There is multilevel thoracolumbar disc and facet joint degeneration as described with no evidence of cord or nerve root impingement at any level. Bilateral par defects without slip are noted at L5/S1
Do you think this is anything to worry about, for example MS, ALS etc.? if not what could it be?
I have another appointment with my GP on Tuesday and have a neurology appointment on 31/10/17
Regard’s
David
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

that is good you are seeing your GP doctor in October.

that is pretty impressive you got a spine MRI scan. did you pay for it privately? or NHS?

it is difficult to get an MRI scan in the UK

your symptoms don't point to MS or ALS

do you have bad anxiety symptoms? bad anxiety symptoms can magnify small symptoms and make you more worried.

bad anxiety can often cause benign fasciculation twitching in your body which is benign and not a sign of ALS or MS.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had the MRI on the NHS whilst investigating tingling in my back, we had 2 CT Scans before that as i was getting nerve pain down my right leg, I've had a problem with the right leg for quite a few year.I think i do suffer from anxiety yes but I cant believe this is all down to anxiety, I generally feel fine but it is very difficult for me to take my mind off of these symptoms. I know that anxiety can release chemicals in the brain that can cause nerve problems but its hard to think the symptoms i have are coming from my own thoughts. With that being said others around me would say i am anxious and i would agree with them sometimes.Do you think it could be anxiety and if so how do i get myself out this vicious circle and stop these sensations?

bad anxiety symptoms can cause you to get into a vicious cycle

bad anxiety symptoms can cause very real body and physical symptoms, such as nausea, fast heart rate, fast acting nervous bowels and bladder symptoms, headaches, neck tension, benign fasciculation twitching if small nerves and muscles

you should talk to your GP doctor about medication treatments which can help decrease your anxiety symptoms

medications like sertraline, paroxetine, fluoxetine can help decrease your anxiety symptoms

propranolol, hydroxyzine, alprazolam, clonazepam can help as well

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com