Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had two polyps removed one was benign and the other one

HiI had two polyps removed one was benign and the other one the lab mentionned that they observed simple hyperplasia with a focal atypia in the endometris .I am 35 and Im still planning to have children.My doctor recommended that I place a Mirena iud which i did.I have my 3rd month biopsy coming soon.I am a bit anxious that the cells will still be atypical , turn into complex atypia or even cancerous.My question is how successful is an IUD in % to cure focal atypia cells and how is it possible that in 3 month that cells turns from Atypia to complex or cancerousThank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Mirena coil releases 20 mcg per day progestin and it is proven to be excellent therapy to cure any endometrial atypia including complex changes.

There is about 92% success rate for cure in 3 months and approaches almost 100% by 6 months.

Hence, the risk of turning atypical cells to complex or even cancerous cells is very low.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-basu/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Dr. I have read many links and articles where woman had atypical hyperplasia simple and turned into carcinoma even with hormone therapy.
It got me more concerned and worried.I am attaching my report as well for your reviewThank you
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

Your report shows simple hyperplasia and no other abnormality.

The overall report is considered benign.

This will not turn into cancerous cells.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you and what about the focal atypia should I be concerned
Thanks again and sorry for beeing a nuisance ��
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

focal atypia involves very small parts of glands.

That is not concerning.