Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I had a red swelling on my upper lip's edge 4 days ago. I

Customer Question

Hi,I had a red swelling on my upper lip's edge 4 days ago. I thought it must be a cold sore. I have a 6 months old daughter and 5 years old son. To avoid spreading the virus to my children, I wore a cold sore patch and a surgical mask. The next day the sore had a white center just like a pimple and the white center was removed while I was trying to replace the patch. It started go away since yesterday (3rd day). I'll attach a photo from today. Do you think it is a cold sore or a pimple on my lip? If it is a cold sore do you think it is still contagious? Should I continue wearing the patch and the mask?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 28 days ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Looks like a cold sore.
I would keep it covered until it scabs over.

then you should be fine

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Should I continue to wear the mask? I wear the mask because I was told it can spread through saliva and my baby daughter can sometimes touch my mouth area while I am carrying her or breastfeeding her.

yes, you should

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hi Dr. Phil, I have taken another photo today. It looks like the sore is healing (5th day). Can you please tell me if it is still contagious? Should I continue keeping it covered?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 27 days ago.

agree it is probably not contagious at this point

Customer: replied 27 days ago.

welcome