Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Suffered with bad cough for 3 maths had 2 courses of

Suffered with bad cough for 3 maths had 2 courses of antibiotics a chest x-ray.. which was clear. Been given an inhaler. This past wk I'm worse than ever lost my voice coughing thick dark green mucus up
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry you have a bad cough and green mucous production

you should see your GP doctor again and get a sputum culture taken

some bacterial lung infections can be resistant to certain antibitoics.

a sputum culture can try to detect what bacteria is growing in your lungs and see what antibitoics it may be sensitive to.

you should ask for a course of steroids which can help decrease cough and inflammation in your airways.

you should try over the counter mucinex or Robitussin cough syrups and drinking a lot of water and seeing if that helps your cough

I hope you don't smoke

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've never smoked. I've been using the cough medicine and drinking as you've advised. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow and got a sample bottle which I wiĺl take with me that's the one thing I've not had tested thankyou
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

you are welcome

yes, submit a good sputum sample for the lab to test to check for bacteria resistant to antibitoics you have used before.

I'm glad you haven't smoked

ask for a course of steroids like prednisone which can help decrease inflammation in your airways which can help decrease cough

you can also ask for a prescription for stronger cough medications like guaifenesin and codeine which can help

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com