Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have been in Australia and New zealand and came home from

I have been in Australia and New zealand and came home from new zealand at the end of May this year after being there just under 3 months due to suddenly having severe weak muscles, pain, weight loss and inflammation over my body. I wen't to the GP here in the UK to be refered to the Rheumatologists to be told i have arthritis and i would have to take medication for the rest of my life. Two doctors in nz and australia said it was from a virus and will go in time. I have not had any other tests done other than a regular blood test. Can you help with where or what to do next to find out why i am having these symtoms?
Holly
Expert:  Dr. David replied 27 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 27 days ago.

how old are you?

did you have blood tests from your rheuatologist? what did it show? I would get copies of your blood tests and medical testing

I would be happy to review thew with you to help you understand what you may have

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I am 25, yes they did blood tests at the Rheumatologists and showed positive for antibodies.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 27 days ago.

positive for what type of antibodies?

rheumatoid factor and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Defintely CCP antibodies and i am not sure if they have done a test for rheumatoid factor. Are there other tests i should have to rule anything else out?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 27 days ago.

those are the two blood tests which look for rheumatoid arthritis which is an autoimmune disorder which can cause your body to make antibodies which can attack your joints and muscles and can cause you severe fatigue.

there are treatments for rheumatoid arthritis which could help your symptoms.

you are young, so this would be considered jeuvenile rheumatoid arthritis.

your rheumatology doctor should also do other blood tests to check for other autoimmune issues, like ANA (antinuclear antibody tests)

antibodies to double-stranded DNA (anti-dsDNA) tests,
antibodies to histone tests,
antibodies to phospholipids,
antibodies to Ro/SS-A and La/SS-B,
antibodies to Sm target Sm proteins in the cell nucleus,
antibodies to RNP target ribonucleoproteins

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok so you don't think its possible the symptoms could be due to anything else like an infection or parasites or do you think there should be other tests done before deciding it is rheumatoid arthritis?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 27 days ago.

viral infections like cold virus and flu virus are very common and can come and go

rheumatoid factor and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies are the right tests for RA and if yours are positive, you most likely have RA

the other blood tests check for other autoimmune disorders

you should follow up with your rheumatology doctor

but I would trust what they are saying if your RA tests are coming back positive.

you can ask for the tests to be repeated again to be sure as a double check.

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com