Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have symptoms of cystitis my urine is pink and I have

I have symptoms of cystitis my urine is pink and I have tested with an indicator which doesn't show blood but does identify keytones and protein
I gave had cystitis in the past but have never had coloured urine. The only difference in my diet is that I have been taking Baroccs for the first time this week
The urge to want to urinste is quite strong. Can you help?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Blood in the urine can be seen when having cystitis and this is a common symptom. So this pinkness of urine is also one of the symptoms of cystitis in addition to your other symptoms. You need an antibiotic to cure this infection. With an antibiotic, all your symptoms will resolve. You should drink plenty of water and cranberry juice.

This change in color of urine is not due to dietary factors.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As stated I have used a urine indicator which does not show traces of blood - if this is blood why would it not show ? The indicator identifies keytones and protein present would this turn urine pink?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Ketones and protein will not turn the urine pink. The blood result can be falsely negative and only with a microscopic examination of urine the red blood cells can be seen and confirmed. These indicators are just screening tests and are not always accurate. You should do a routine examination of the urine in a lab. I am sure that the coloration of the urine is due to red blood cells and because of cystitis. An antibiotic will lead to correction of this abnormality. The ketones and protein can be due to the diet, and you should also again confirm their presence in a routine urine test at the lab.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you

Dear customer,
You are very welcome!!

Glad that I could help.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.