wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

After been reffered by my gp to an endocrinologist, the

After been reffered by my gp to an endocrinologist, the consultant did suggest that I should be reffered for an MRI.
Due to big BMI I believe I can fit only on an upright MRI.There are few issues here, first that the consultant broke his arm and not sure when he will resume on duties;so when I did call to find out more I was sent back to my gp.Second I am not sure if NHS can reffer me to an upright MRI.
Any advice on this please?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 25 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 25 days ago.

Have you tried to see if you would fit into a regular MRI?

How about an open, horizontal, MRI?

Why do you need an MRI?

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
As I am aware of my weight more than 28 stones , i know definatelly that an upright MRI is required.
I am about 6ft tall. I got a hormonal problem.
The open MRI has a weight limit as I am aware and I am far beyond that.This is the reason why I am looking on an upright MRI.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 25 days ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

As you know the NHS moves slowly when it comes to requests like yours :(

The best thing you can do is try to get your GP to act as your advocate and push through your request for and upright MRI.

Unfortunately, given the way the NHS works, and depending on where you live, you might be stuck waiting 6 months or so to get an upright MRI completed. :(

Another option would be to hire a solicitor to legally argue on your behalf and speed up your access to this MRI.

Of course, if you were in the USA, you could probably get an upright MRI done this week......different health care systems, different problems :(

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I know exactly how NHS works,the consultant send me to my gp and via versa.
The only thing that I know is that MRI needs to be done regardless my BMI.
Just to clarify here NHS does in cases like mine cover the expenses for upright MRI?Regardless the waiting time
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 25 days ago.

As a USA based physician, I do not know if the NHS covers expenses for an upright MRI in cases like yours.

That being said, your GP will know exactly what costs you might incur for your testing....

I wish you the very best.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS