Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have a over active thyroid and my consultant at hospital

Hi i have a over active thyroid and my consultant at hospital is asking md to get surgery to remove the thyroid gland. Please can you advice whether that is the right thing to do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please can i have an answer?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

What investigations were done? Please upload the test results.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi i have had few blood tests done. I dont have the results right now on me. I am on propylthiouracil 300mg a day. I do want ti have a baby but the consultant said before trying i should get surgery done as it may affect pregnancy. Can you advice what i can do?

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

One of the indications of having thyroidectomy surgery is for patients who require normalization of thyroid levels quickly, such as in women who desire pregnancy in the next 6 months. So your consultant is correct in advising surgery if you are trying to conceive. A high thyroid level can affect pregnancy. So you should have this very common surgery done.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi pls can i have a reply

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

I have given a reply to your question. Did you read it? I will paste it again below:

Take care.

Dear customer,
Please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & the

effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to

you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for replying..is there anything else i can do rather then surgery? How does radio active idion work? As this was another option. Are there any side affects with surgery? How quick is the healing ? Also can i try for a baby straight away? Thank you

Dear customer,

You are very welcome!

There are many other options besides surgery but the action of surgery is sooner and more effective than other modalities of treatment. Radioactive iodine acts by destroying all or part of your thyroid and achieves the same result. You may develop a low thyroid hormone status after the surgery and you may then require daily thyroid supplement. The surgery is very safe and unlikely to cause any complications. The healing is very quick and can take a few weeks. You can then try for a baby straight away.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thats very helpful. Would you recommend radioactive iodine as you cam imagine i am very scared for surgery as ive never had one before. Are theyre any chances of the thyroid coming back after surgery and radioactive or is it removed permanantly? If i did choose to go with surgery are there any drs you would recommend that can see me sooner? Or would i need to be reffered via my Gp or consultant? I was considering radioactive iodine but i know theres more stuff i need to be careful of with that for example not being around pregnant women, not sleeping in same room /bed as partner etc is that right? Thank you

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Radioactive iodine is also a very good option and you can consider it over surgery. Both surgery and radioactive iodine are an effective treatment and will cure this condition. For surgery, you should be referred by your GP or consultant.

Please refer the below link to clear the common misconceptions of radioactive treatment.

https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q9026.html

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you that link sent above is good information. Are there any dos or dont with radioactive iodion?

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

The only precaution that is required is to not be pregnant while having radioactive iodine. Later after successful treatment, you can try for pregnancy.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a

mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.