Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

As a 45yr old woman who has recently found to be suffering

as a 45yr old woman who has recently found to be suffering with Absence seizures is there any aids/monitors available to me that will be able to tell me if I have had an absence seizure as I tend to spend most of my days on my own and I have no memory of that kind of event even happening. ??? I have read about watches or wristbands that can detect seizures happening but it tends to be the tonic clonic style seizures they are aimed at even in bed at night.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

absence seizures don't really cause injuries

did you have injuries?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no but I do need to keep a track of when these seizures occur and am currently not allowed drive until seizure free for at least 12 months after last known seizure. I live about 8miles away from nearest towns in the country side and it makes it difficult finding a job and doing every day things like doctors appointments and food shopping or generally any social life. my parents are elderly and this is causing them a lot of extra stress especially when they aren't very well either with plenty of their own medical conditions. I have already been off the road for 12months and it is down right frustrating and stressful plus I have a teenage son who lives with me and as a result of my seizures is also finding life difficult.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been told that I am the unlucky 1 in 6 persons whose seizures return as I get older. Previously my seizures were under control for about 15yrs and was therefore allowed to drive all that time but last summer unknown to me they returned in a different style from tonic clonic to absence style and it was only when my son told me what he had seen happening that I went straight to my own GP and was referred quickly to a neurologist.

I don't know of any way to track them outside of you just documenting when they happen

you could get a home camera?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
unless someone is with me at the time I am having an absence and knows what to look for, I honestly have no idea or memory that I have had one. not being allowed drive is very frustrating as I do live a good distance from my nearest local towns and whilst I can get a govt subsidized bus 6 days a week to town I have no other way of getting to my GP whose surgery is in the opposite direction also in the country side. The subsidized bus whilst is handy also travels house to house on back roads with lots of twists, turns and potholes at a very fast pace and I tend to get motion sickness after travelling 90mins all over the country which if travelled on a direct journey should only take 15/20mins.
What about a support dog?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I only ever heard of blind or autism dogs.Thank you.
There are dogs that can sense seizures.
Please don't forget a 5 star rating. I appreciate it