Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a very painful anus, especially when sitting down and

I have a very painful anus, especially when sitting down and going to the toilet . Upon inspection there appears to be a swelling at the top. There feels to be a lot of pressure on it when sitting.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have attached a picture fole for your reference

This is an anal fissure.

This is caused by a tear in the anal verge and is a very painful condition.

The swelling occurs due to inflammation around the tear or a sentinel skin tag.

Sometimes, there is bleeding as well when one goes to the toilet.

You will need Lidocaine cream or gel apply that four to five times a day around the area for pain relief.

Over the counter pain killer like Ibuprofen or Aleve for the inflammation and pain.

Sitz baths, which means luke warm water 6 inches in a tub and 2 fl oz of Betadine in it. Sit in the tub for 15 to 20 minutes four to five times a day. This is to keep the area clean and for soothing the area.

Sleep prone for as long as this is present.

If sitting is a problem, use a doughtnut shaped pillow to distribute the pressure around the periphery of the buttocks instead of at the center.

Discuss this with your GP when you see him/her.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for the description, I will get the cream, does this need to be on prescription from the doctor? Did you inspect the picture?

No, you will be able to find Lidocaine application OTC with your pharmacist help, it might be available as a constituent of another cream, for example; antibiotic creams.

My apologies, but I have not received a picture. Please try uploading it again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I added the picture, did you get it?

Yes, this is a 6 o clock anal fissure. Seems like an acute exacerbation of a chronic anal fissure.

Treat it with the above mentioned over the counter remedies. And have this seen by your GP on your next visit.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, thank you for your help and advice .. take care

You too, have a good one.