Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Pain in left buttock not sharp. This pain is a dull ache

Pain in left buttock not sharp. This pain is a dull ache that travels, burning, down the outside of my thigh and sometimes right to the foot. Stupidly for years I thought it’s just cold like the weather is changing from summer to autumn. It’s been going on for many many years. But now I think this is nonsense!? It’s only on my left side. I take paracetamol and codeine which seems to eventually work and a hot bottle. Any ideas? No back pain.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. This is sciatica or sciatic nerve pain. It's often due to compression of the nerve. Its can be due to back problems also. Physical therapy and stretching exercises can help.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I didn’t think it was sciatica because it’s not a sharp pain so this is news to me. Should I see my GP? What medication Can I take for it?