Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My sister is diagnosed with cervical cancer stage 2 she has

Hi my sister is diagnosed with cervical cancer stage 2 b she has had a few sessions if chemo and some radiotherapy. The doctors gave her mri scan which showed the tumour has grown a bit since buy are refusing a hysterectomy due to cancer spreading to her vaginal walls and have suggested brachytherapy. The doctor checked her out giving her an internal (felt around her vagina) and said it's tight and swollen and she cannot have a hysterectomy due to this but cannot say what happens if the cancer doesn't shrink if she has brachytherapy and next course of action. She also has a mild kidney problem which they think it's a result of the chemotherapy. She lives in the caribbean and I would like to seek some advice so we can know what to ask doctors over there. Thank you
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I have enclosed the latest letter from her doctor
Expert:  Dr. David replied 30 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 30 days ago.

I am sorry about your sister.

there are proper ways of treating and curing cervical cancer.

she needed 5 weeks of radiation therapy daily to 45Gy to the whole pelvis combined with cisplatin chemotherapy weekly.

if she has blockage of her kidneys from the cervical cancer, she would benefit from bilateral nephrostomy tubes so the urine can drain out of your back and continue to function.

after this 5 weeks of radiation is done, she needs HDR high dose rate intravaginal brachytherapy to the areas of cancer in her cervix and vaginal wall again with cisplatin chemotherapy.

this will give her her best chance for cure.

further treatments after this can be difficult if she continues to have cervical cancer

she may be cured by an aggressive surgery called an anterior exenteration which cuts out her vagina, bladder, cervix and uterus in a large aggressive surgery.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Thank you very much doctor. This really helps as we didn't know what to do or ask the doctors to assist her with.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 30 days ago.

you are welcome